When a loved one dies, there are often many things to consider. Here are some things to consider from a legal perspective:
- Check that the deceased’s property is insured.
- Check that any real estate owned by the deceased is secure.
- Obtain the Death Certificate. This will be needed to obtain a grant of probate or letters of administration from the Court.
- Locate the deceased’s important documents including Wills and Codicils.
- Make a list of the deceased’s assets and liabilities as far as they are known.
- Notify the deceased’s bank or banks regarding the death of the deceased and ensure the accounts are secure.
- Notify the deceased’s credit card companies regarding the death of the deceased and ensure any credit cards do not remain operational.
- Instruct a solicitor to make an application for a grant of probate or letters of administration if you are the deceased’s executor.
We regularly assist clients with deceased estates. For an obligation free appointment, please contact our office on (02) 9633 1826 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
McAuley Hawach Lawyers
11 Fennell Street, Parramatta NSW 2124
Telephone: (02) 9633 1826
Facsimile: (02) 9687 8114 (02) 9687 8114
The information in this publication is of a general nature and is not intended to address the circumstances of any particular individual or entity. Although we endeavour to provide accurate and timely information, we do not guarantee that the information in this publication is accurate at the date it is received or that it will continue to be accurate in the future. We are not responsible for the information of any source to which a link is provided or reference is made and exclude all liability in connection with use of these sources. If you do not wish to receive newsletters from us, please let us know.