The plaintiff, Mr Tre Lawson suffered extensive burns when he was aged 17 years, on 6 November 2016 whilst he was on premises occupied by the defendant, Mr Raymond Hubbard. The court found that the injuries were incurred due to the negligence of the defendant and awarded $670,200.
On Sunday, 6 November 2016 the plaintiff was on the defendant’s premises to attend a birthday party and barbeque arranged for the defendant’s son.
Whilst the plaintiff was seated near an outdoor homemade fire pit on the premises, the defendant poured an accelerant onto the flames in the fire pit. An explosion then occurred, following which the plaintiff sustained substantial burns with resultant scarring to large areas of his body, including his face, both upper limbs, both lower limbs, as well as incurring shock and psychological sequelae. The plaintiff received burns to 44 per cent of the skin area of his body.
No defence was filed by the defendant and default judgment was entered.
The decision can be read in full here: https://www.caselaw.nsw.gov.au/decision/1751acf087b9ab3dc4766ecd
McAuley Hawach Lawyers
11 Fennell Street, Parramatta NSW 2124
Telephone: (02) 9633 1826
Facsimile: (02) 9687 8114 (02) 9687 8114
The information in this publication is of a general nature and is not intended to address the circumstances of any particular individual or entity. Although we endeavour to provide accurate and timely information, we do not guarantee that the information in this publication is accurate at the date it is received or that it will continue to be accurate in the future. We are not responsible for the information of any source to which a link is provided or reference is made and exclude all liability in connection with use of these sources. If you do not wish to receive newsletters from us, please let us know.